Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Tools of a Happy Marriage?

I love living in the country.  I actually grew up in a small town and loved it too and still miss aspects of it.  Three Hills was a lovely little bubble.  It was very safe, and my parents were quite relaxed, so as kids we felt like we had the run of the town.  In elementary school, even early elementry I would walk to and from whatever I needed to go to.  I'd ride my bike to the out door pool and swim by myself, or walk to the ice rinks to skate.  Can you imagine that now?  I'd go play at the Prairie dump/railroad tracks, which wasn't for actual garbage, just the big stuff, old cars, fridges, very fun stuff really.  We would stop at the Pop Shop for candy then play and imagine the day away.  I very rarely remember getting in trouble for being gone too long.  Now that I'm a mom I can only imagine.... how amazing to be able to give your kids that kind of freedom.  

Ok back to living in the country... love it!  Can't imagine being anywhere else, however the snow on roads sucks in the winter.  Yesterday I needed to take Eli to the doctor, I knew the roads were bad so I even left early, which is amazing for me, and good thing I did as I got "stuck" in the driveway. Ok not so stuck that I didn't eventually get out, but defiately delayed.  Grrr..... So do the doctor thing, groceries etc.  Drive home to unload kids and groceries and I can't even get up the driveway.  I love my husband dearly, and learned from my mother not to be the yelling angry sort of person, and it's a great thing.  Anyway, I was a little angry and a little yelly.  No he wasn't there, but 2 of his kids were.  Thankfully when I call him DANIEL the little ones don't really know who I'm talking about.... "who's that?" they said.

Yes I got out, 5 hours later, after hiking my groceries in a few trips back and forth to the house.  I'm sure the neighbors enjoyed driving by and chuckling and yes, Dan knew I was miffed at him.  His fault?  Not really, he's a very busy guy and though he might have squeezed it in the night before he informed me later that because freezing rain had been predicted he didn't want a full skating rink for a driveway either.  

Apologies went all around and the neighbor lady next door assures me I just need snow tires now.... perhaps one of the tools of a happy marriage?

1 comment:

  1. This made me laugh...and I am sure I will be going through the same thing one day. I will remember SNOW TIRES!! Thanks! Love it Karen!

    ReplyDelete